Wicklow Dementia Support is a charity, set up in 2010 by a small group of people aware of the gaps in service provision in response to the needs of those with dementia living in County Wicklow. It is a company limited by guarantee. It is managed by a voluntary board and supported by a coordinator and facilitators with the core of the organisation’s activities being provided by its team of volunteers. It is dependent on donations, fundraising and grants from public bodies.
At Wicklow Dementia Support we enable people with dementia and their care partners to live life to the fullest in their home and community. We support our members to continue doing the things that are meaningful to them through a range of services including: providing a companion to accompany the person to clubs, groups, shopping; organising weekly activities like yoga, craft and music sessions.
To provide support to enhance the quality of life of people with dementia and their family carer in Co. Wicklow, enabling the person with dementia to live life to the fullest in their own home and remain included in their community.
For each person with dementia to be supported and enabled in a way that respects, values and understands them for who they are.
As set out in the Wicklow Dementia Support Constitution, our main objective is to provide support to people with dementia in Co Wicklow to enable them maintain their identity, interests and independence, living life to the fullest in their own home and community, while also meeting the needs of family carers for social engagement, information and respite.
To the attain the Main Object, Wicklow Dementia Support shall have the following subsidiary objects:
- Provide community-based service and support by trained volunteers that are person-centred and meaningful to the person with dementia such as the befriending service AlzPals,
- Facilitate social engagement, participation in activities and information sharing for people with dementia and family carers such as Wicklow Dementia Support (WDS) social clubs and Musical memories
- Empower the person with dementia to live life to the fullest in their own home through participation in WDS activities, support for family carers and liaising with allied services in Co. Wicklow
- Support family carers by providing opportunities for respite, access to peer support and other assistance
- Mentor and assist family carers to self-care, build resilience and maintain a quality of life
- Provide quality training, guidance and support to WDS volunteers
- Ensure those leading and providing services and support on behalf of WDS uphold and respect the dignity, identity, capabilities and choices of people with dementia
- Listen to and be guided by the person with dementia in the provision of supports and services
- Continue to develop, seek funding and pilot services and supports that promote personhood, focus on sustaining abilities, building confidence and maximising independence for the person with dementia
- Promote and advocate for the needs of people with dementia and their families in Co. Wicklow
To help achieve these ends, a variety of services has been established by Wicklow Dementia Support (WDS) including:
AlzPals – Befriending service for people with dementia to support them to continue to engage in their interests and activities. It also supports the carer by providing a break for them.
AlzClubs – Social groups where people with dementia and their families meet on a weekly basis
Carers Support Group – Monthly meetings for carers of people with dementia to meet and support each other
Bereavement Group – Support for those who have experienced loss